May 21, 2016

"What Are You Afraid Of?"




Jon's question is one that I have been wrestling with for the past few weeks. You see, since I arrived here in Perth back in October one of my desires for my time here was to be able to take part in staffing a six month Discipleship Training School run on base. I wasn't sure if it would ever take place, because I knew that God had called me to serve the base during my two year commitment. Was staffing a school meant to be part of this time of service?

Within two weeks of being on base I was discovering that there were a lot more schools running year round than what I was previously aware of. As a matter of fact we have about seventeen DTSs, over twenty second-level schools, and over twenty ministries running around base as well. On top of that we have new schools starting up seemingly every other month so we just keep growing, haha! All of the training programs are divided into four different quarters, but one that caught my attention from the start was the Four-Wheel Drive Adventure (4WD) DTS.
The 4WD DTS runs in both the January and the July quarters. As you may have guessed they use four-wheel drive vehicles to go out where others are not able to travel. One of the areas we travel too frequently is the Kimberly region in northern Western Australia where many aboriginal people live. For more information you can check out the website here!

I have been praying about being a part of staffing this July 4WD school since November, but was not able to meet with the leader of the school till a few weeks ago. He told me of the challenges awaiting me if I said yes, but also welcomed me to join the team. My mind was reeling. I went to God questioning if this opportunity could truly be mine. His sole response was, "what are you afraid of? Go for it!"

I can so easily look ahead with expectancy, yet when the time finally arrives to make a decision I begin to doubt and question. God is so good and so faithful in His guidance. I am so thankful for a Father that I can turn to without fear knowing that He will ease my doubt. I still have many questions, but the answers will come I just need to keep trusting.

I am staffing a six month school that begins in roughly five weeks. At the moment there are four staff and I am the only girl. We have twenty students, twelve girls and eight guys. Oh, and since this is a four-wheel drive DTS that means I need to learn to drive on the wrong side of the road! Many challenges and adventures lie ahead. I don't feel prepared whatsoever, but I am excited!

Will you join me in this upcoming journey? It's going to be a wild and crazy ride!

"My heart is steadfast, O God, my heart is steadfast! I will sing and make melody!" Psalms 57:7 ESV

"Be strong and courageous! D not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

No comments:

Post a Comment